2018 Australian Cider Awards
The Australian Cider Awards presents an unrivalled opportunity to showcase your ciders and have them benchmarked by a world-class panel of judges.
The Awards is the largest cider show in Australia with 250 entries in 2017. Entry to this prestigious show is open to cider and perry products available for sale in Australia. 28 classes of cider and perry are judged including Traditional and New World styles and several specialty and intensified/distilled classes. Entries are blind tasted and assessed in terms of aroma and flavour, appearance, mouthfeel and overall impression.
The 2018 judging panel comprises chair Behn Payten (Payten & Jones Wines), Eric West (guest judge from the US), Mike Bennie (freelance writer and journalist), Sebastian Crowther MS (Rockpool Dining Group), Briony Liebich (Lion Co) and Jody Scott (NZ’s Zeffer Cider).
Medals and trophies will be awarded to the best ciders at the cider industry’s gala dinner on Friday 5 October 2018 at the Mercure Sydney. Further details will be available shortly.
- Compare your product against industry benchmarks
- Receive feedback from a panel of independent industry experts
- Market your product with a recognised stamp of quality
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rules and classes?
How do I enter?
Read the Competition Information to confirm eligibility and the Style Guide and determine the appropriate class to enter. Complete the online entry form and pay the entry fee by 31 August 2018. Then wait for your entry labels to be mailed out and deliver your cider between 3-14 September 2018.
When do entries open?
Entries to the 2018 Australian Cider Awards opened on 1 June 2018 and close on 31 August 2018. Samples must be delivered between 3-14 September 2018.
What products can I enter?
Entry is open to any cider that is commercially available in Australia, and this includes imported ciders. Kegs, bottles, cans and any other package may be entered. Further details on eligibility can be found in the Style Guide and the Competition Information.
Where do I send entries?
Show organisers will confirm the delivery address after your entry is received. Samples must be delivered between 3-14 September 2018.
What quantity do I need to submit?
- Standard and Speciality classes – submit four (4) of each if can/bottle is less than 650ml, or three (3) of each if bottle is 650ml or larger
- Ice Cider and Pommeau – submit three (3) of each if bottle is less than 375ml, or two (2) of each if bottle is 375ml or larger
- Apple/Pear Spirit – submit two (2) of each bottle. The total volume must be at least 375ml
What’s new in 2018?
Key changes in 2018 are:
- there is a new lighter strength cider class for products with an ABV of 1.15-3.5%
- the ‘Medium’ cider and perry classes are split into ‘Medium’ (~ 9 – 25g/L sugar) and ‘Medium Sweet’ (~ 25-40g/L sugar)
- the apple and pear spirits class is split into a non-aged (Eau de Vie) and an aged spirits class
For further information about the Awards, please email email@example.com