European expert to critique Australia’s best ciders
9 May 2017
An authority on Spanish and French cider will bring a new perspective to the fore at this year’s national cider show.
Cider Australia President Sam Reid today announced that internationally respected cider writer, trader and judge Eduardo Vázquez Coto will be guest judge at the 2017 Australian Cider Awards.
“We have scouted the globe in our efforts to ensure the Awards is at the forefront of international developments and trends”, said Mr Reid.
Mr Coto hails from the Asturias region of northern Spain and lives in Frankfurt, Germany.
“Eduardo has an extensive knowledge of Spanish and German ciders, and with his strong interests in European cider markets was a logical choice for us after hosting experts from the UK, US, Canada and New Zealand”, said Mr Reid.
Mr Coto will travel to Australia for the judging in late September and then visit major cider regions in Tasmania, Victoria and neighbouring states where he will immerse himself in Australian cider.
“I am very excited at this chance to visit Australia and learn more about the Australian cider industry”, Mr Coto said.
The independent panel of judges will be chaired by Behn Payten of Payten & Jones Wines and include members with significant experience in judging at shows around Australia and overseas.
Entries to the 2017 Australian Cider Awards open on 1 June.
Award winners will be announced at a gala industry dinner on 27 October 2017.
Further information on the Awards can be found at www.cideraustralia.org.au.
For more details contact Cider Australia executive officer Jane Anderson on 0434 559 759 or visit cideraustralia.org.au
AUSTRALIAN CIDER AWARDS BACKGROUND
- Cider Australia will run the 7th annual Australian Cider Awards in Spring 2017.
- Judging will be held over 2 days at the William Angliss Institute in central Melbourne. The judging is closed to entrants and the public.
- Results will be announced at a gala cider industry dinner at The Craft & Co in Collingwood, Melbourne on Friday 27th October 2017.
- The Australian Cider Awards is the largest cider competition in Australia. There were over 200 entries in 2016 from Australia, the UK, Ireland, Spain and New Zealand.
- Products can be entered in 20 possible categories including Traditional and New World cider and perry classes and a range of specialty classes.
- The Judging panel comprises 5 full judges and 2 associates. The guest international judge is a full judge.
- The Awards is an important precursor to the largest craft cider festival in Australia, the annual Australian Cider Festival. The 2017 festival will be held on Saturday 28th October at The Malthouse Theatre Courtyard in Southbank, Melbourne.
- Entry details including the 2017 Awards Information and Style Guide can be found at cideraustralia.org.au/ciderawards/entry-information/